Friday 31 July 2015

What She Left, T.R.Richmond: review

Gone doesn't mean forgotten.
When Alice Salmon died last year, the ripples were felt in the news, on the internet, and in the hearts of those who knew her best.
But the person who knows her most intimately isn't family or a friend. Dr Jeremy Cook is an academic whose life has become about piecing together Alice's existence in all its flawed and truthful reality.
For Cooke, faithfully recreating Alice's life - through her diaries, emails and anything using her voice - is all-consuming. He does not know how deep his search will take him, or the shocking nature of what he will uncover...


When I picked this up I wasn't expecting to like it, I thought it was going to be this scary thriller and I didn't like the idea of that. But I won this book and I felt like I should give it a go then if I didn't like it I would give it to a friend who would enjoy it; and she is welcome to borrow but I want to  hold onto it because I was pleasantly surprised by this book! 

The main thing about this novel is how it was formated. I guess you would call it epistolary but it is a mix of letters, emails, tweets, texts, diary entries etc. and it is up to the reader really to piece most of it together. It was just such a unique way of telling a story and it made it fun in a way. Another thing is that there is a tumblr and even a playlist linked to the book, I spent an entire morning scrolling through it and if you do read it I highly recommend taking a look at Professor Cooke's tumblr

The plot was good and I even said on a goodreads update that I thought I knew where the story was going and I got it completely wrong, so it keeps you guessing! It had just the right balance of intrigue and new information  throughout which in my opinion is very hard to get. The only thing was that the majority of the book is Cooke's letters to a friend and I really didn't like Cooke but I get the impression that we aren't meant to... He walks on very thin ice with the ethical side of things at least.

I don't read mystery/thriller that much despite loving many crime dramas but this has made me want to pick up some more :)
Speak soon,
Jade xx

No comments:

Post a Comment